Hip joint is one of the strong joints in body as it provides support and stability to entire body. A healthy hip enables patients to perform activities such as climbing stairs, running, sitting, and exhausting physical tasks. However, hip pain has become a common reason for concern nowadays. It can degrade quality of hip joint and limit normal range of movement. Generally, it can be treated by consuming doctor's prescribed pain killers, applying hot or ice packs, and performing physiotherapy. If the intensity of pain remains the same even after these primary treatments, then surgical approach becomes necessary. Hip replacement surgery which involves removing and replacing problematic hip joint with an artificial one is the best alternative for patients struggling with disabling hip conditions. It can significantly improve patient's condition and reduce severity of hip pain to a great extent.
What is Revision Hip Replacement Surgery?
Revision hip replacement surgery is a medical intervention which is performed when patients begin to experience intense hip pain after an initial hip replacement surgery. This is why it is termed as a 'revision' surgery. This procedure involves removing the primary hip implant and implanting a new prosthesis to improve patient's flexibility and range of motion.
Who Benefits from Revision Hip Joint Replacement Surgery?
Patients who fall under the following category are most suitable candidates for undergoing a revision hip replacement surgery.
- Loosening of Hip Implant - Patients who have already undergone a hip replacement surgery may encounter complications such as loosening of hip implants in long run. It may occur due to several reasons such as excessive stress on hip, performing strenuous tasks without taking required measures, or simply due to long time interval. In such cases, a revision hip replacement surgery can prove beneficial.
- Infection - Sometimes, patients may get an infection around hip joint following a hip replacement surgery. This situation may emerge in either postoperative period or after some years after surgery. Infection may eventually result in hip instability and worsen hip joint pain. Such patients should consider undergoing a revision hip replacement surgery.
- Hip Dislocation - Hip dislocation is one of the biggest complication associated with hip replacement surgery. It may occur when surgeons fail to implant artificial hip at proper location or due to improper care of operated hip joint. Hip dislocation issue can be resolved with the help of revision hip replacement procedure.
- Fracture - Patients who are involved in high-impact activities and sports are at a greater risk of fracturing their operated hip joint. Any serious fracture or trauma around hip joint can result in loosening of implant. In such cases, revision hip replacement surgery becomes necessary.
Diagnosing Cause of Hip Pain following Hip Replacement Surgery
Respective orthopedic surgeons may perform the following evaluation tests to find out the precise cause of hip pain following a hip replacement surgery. It will help them determine whether the patient needs a revision hip surgery or not.
- Medical Evaluation - Respective orthopedists may ask for current medical reports of patients. They may also ask them regarding the medicines which they consume and their daily lifestyle habits.
- Imaging Tests - Orthopedic surgeons are likely to order imaging tests such as computerized tomography and magnetic resonance imaging scan. These tests are capable of producing high-quality images of primary hip implant and surrounding muscles and tissues. These tests will help surgeons study and analyze the problematic area.
In addition to these tests, surgeons may also order certain blood tests to figure out whether any infection is present around hip joint.
Preparing for Revision Hip Replacement Surgery
Patients will need to follow the given instructions to get good results following their revision hip replacement surgery.
- List of Medicines - Surgeons are likely to provide a list of medicines which patients need to consume. They may also disallow certain medicines which patients are taking at present for additional health issues.
- Avoid Smoking - Patients will need to stop smoking nearly a month before undergoing revision hip replacement surgery. Habit of smoking can result in various complications and delay patient's recovery.
- Assistance - Patients will not be allowed to drive or perform any strenuous activity until they heal completely. Therefore, patients should ask a friend or relative to stay and assist them until they get a green flag from respective doctor.
Revision Hip Replacement Procedure
Revision hip replacement surgery needs a high degree of precision and therefore, it may take several hours for completion. It can be performed with the help of following steps.
- Selection of Anesthesia - Orthopedic surgeons may either give general anesthesia or regional anesthesia depending on patient's requirement. General anesthesia will put them to sleep. While regional anesthesia will numb the part where operation is to be performed.
- Incision - Orthopedic surgeons carefully make a cut where prior incision was made during hip replacement surgery. Surgeons reach the primary implant via this incision and thoroughly evaluate it. They clearly analyze the damaged areas of hip joint implant before taking the next step.
- Removal of Damaged Implant - After that, surgeons begin to remove the damaged hip implant and try to minimize the bone loss during this removal procedure.
- Insertion of Revised Hip Implant - Once the primary implant is removed, surgeons firmly fix a revised hip implant in an appropriate position and close the incision.
Patients will be monitored for a few hours after completion of revision hip replacement surgery to control postoperative complications.
Risks and Complications Associated with Revision Hip Replacement Surgery
The following points describe some major risks and complications associated with revision hip replacement surgery.
- Implant Failure - Any minor mistake while performing surgery may result in loosening of implant and hip dislocation. Implant failure will need another correction surgery which may further increase complications for patients.
- Nerve or Blood Vessel Damage - Healthy nerves and blood vessels around hip joint may get damaged during revision hip replacement surgery.
- Leg Length Discrepancy - This surgical approach may lead to inequality of leg length. Patients may not be able to walk properly afterwards. They will need to take help of assistive devices to maintain a balance.
- Clotting of Blood - Clotting of blood may be observed during postsurgical period. Orthopedic surgeons are likely to give blood thinners for minimizing this problem.
Patients must discuss regarding the potential complications and their possible solutions with respective doctors prior signing the consent form. It will increase the chances of successful revision hip replacement procedure.
Recovery Following Revision Hip Replacement Surgery
Patients may experience mild pain around their newly operated hip joint for initial days. Orthopedic surgeons are likely to refer them to a physical therapist and provide suitable pain-controlling drugs to resolve their uneasiness and discomfort. Physical therapy will help them stay fit, improve blood circulation, and strengthen their muscles around hip. In addition to this, they may be advised to eat fruits, vegetables, and intake fresh juices to speed up the healing process. Normally, it takes a couple of months for complete recovery following revision hip replacement surgery. Patients will need to follow every single guideline of respective orthopedic surgeons to aid a smooth recovery.
Avail Top-Class Hip Replacement Surgery in India with Surgery Tours India
Surgery Tours India Medical Tourism is a leading name in the list of world-class healthcare service providers. Medical experts at Surgery Tours India are associated with a vast network of multi-specialty hospitals and well-trained orthopedic surgeons. These orthopedic surgeons are highly skilled and renowned for performing a variety of orthopedic procedures including revision hip replacement surgery. Revision hip replacement surgery cost in countries like Australia and Canada is quite high. Whereas, Surgery Tours India offers the same at just one-third of the price which other developed nations usually demand. They assist patients in obtaining medical visas and also provide a free online medical consultation to understand and fulfill their medical requirements. Team Surgery Tours India takes care of international patients right from the beginning of treatment till their recovery. In fact, they stay in touch with them during the recovery period even when they return to their native places. Therefore, overseas patients can totally count on quality treatments provided by Surgery Tours India Medical Tourism and avail revision hip replacement surgery in India in a hassle-free way.
For more information please contact us at
Phone: +91-888 292 1234 / +91-9730 001 540